Our love for linen was one of the main factors behind the foundation of Loom – making pyjamas from it seemed like a no brainer. We are regularly amazed by linen’s many qualities - it really is the best fabric ever. I know we’re biased but here are some of the reasons why we love it so much and we think you should too…
- Linen is the most sustainable fabric out there. It is 100% biodegradable, produces zero waste, and retains carbon that is released into the atmosphere. It is also naturally hypoallergenic so not only is it good for the environment, it’s good for you too!
- All of the flax plant is used in the production of linen and it only requires rainwater to grow, unlike other natural or cellulose fabrics that require thousands of litres of irrigation.
- Flax can also grow in poor quality soil and doesn’t need fertilizer or pesticides to thrive meaning there is no harmful junk used in the process.
- 85% of the world’s linen comes from Europe and Irish linen is widely considered to be the best.
- Linen is one of the oldest fabrics, if not the The first record of it was in the 4th century so there’s certainly no question about it being durable. With the right care, linen can last you a lifetime.
- Linen has an outstanding moisture absorbance. It can absorb up to 20% of its own weight in moisture before it feels damp and easily releases moisture to the air to remain cool and dry to the touch. It also absorbs moisture without holding bacteria.
- Linen is thermo-regulating, so it is comfortable to use in all seasons. In fact, the heat conductivity of linen is five times as high as that of wool and 19 times as that of silk. In hot weather, those dressed in linen clothes are found to have skin temperature 3-4 degrees below those wearing silk and cotton.
- Linen becomes softer and more pliable the more it is washed. It simply gets better and better with age.